Contraceptive Use & Effects : Testimonies from Bamenda Based Women

Contraceptive Use & Effects: Testimonies from Bamenda based Women!


By Ruth Che Wachong

Family planning is the consideration of the number of children a person wishes to have, including the choice to have no children, and the age at which they wish to have them. 

Family planning decisions are mostly triggered by the following considerations; marital status, career or work considerations, financial situations, amongst others.

Contraceptive methods commonly used in Cameroon are; oral contraceptives,  injectable methods and condoms.

This report seeks to exploit the effect of these contraceptives on women who use them around Bamenda, Cameroon.

According to Mbong, a 35 years old Bamenda based mother of 2, family planning is important and should be considered by every woman. 

“I have been on about 4 different contraceptives since 2 years now. I took “depot” for the first 3 months but had to remove it because of the effects it had on me. During that period, I would have prolonged  heavy flow for about 3 weeks , including cramps. I complained to the nurses at the family planning unit and they suggested an alternative contraceptive for me.

I tried “IVF” but had to remove it a day after because of severe abdominal pains. The nurses again advised that I go in for another method. I took Jadel , which is implanted into the arm. This method has so far been the best as the effects are not as severe as others. Huge appetite, weight gain and dizziness are some of the minor effects this method has on me. At times I bleed for about a week, though very little flow”, Mbong continued.



“I have been using jadel for the past 3 years. I prefer it because I can remove after 5 years and still have babies.

The effect of this contraceptive method on me is that it causes me to have a large appetite and also causes extended periods. There are times I bleed for about 2 weeks , and the bleeding is heavy as well.

I still prefer this method as it is not complicated like others”

Rose told this reporter.


“I use the natural planning system because in as much as someone convinces me that family planning methods don't give weight, it does. I am already overweight and don't want to take that risk. Maybe it works for others but I don't want to risk it so I go the natural way. It's true with the natural way you may get pregnant when you least expect it and I have gone through that. However if I have survived this for the past 12 years, then I can still do it. But I advice any young girl to go to the hospital” 

says 36 years old Bamenda resident.


Linda, 33 says she has been on Jadel for the past 2 years and only recently saw her period. She thinks Jadel is the best option as she doesn’t have to worry about buying sanitary pads every month.

“The only effect Jadel has on me is that it has given me a huge appetite. Fortunately it has not affected my weight in any way” 

Linda continued.



According to Dr Becheng Jenet, Medical Doctor at the Bambili Medicalized Health Center, there are mainly 4 types of Family Planning methods;

Natural, Barrier or Mechanical method, Hormonal and Permanent (Surgical) Methods. Long term Hormonal methods of contraceptives include; inplants, Noeplants and Jadel for 3 to 5 years.

Side effects include irregularities in menstraul bleeding especially for the first 1 year and weight gain

Hormonal contraceptives methods include; combined oral contraceptive pills taken everyday at a particular time.

Side effects include breast tenderness, nausea and weight gain. 

Dr Nkongho Becheng Jenet
Bambili Medicalized Health Center

“There are 3 Natural Family planning methods; The Withdrawal method which occurs when a man ejaculates outside the woman, Periodic Abstenance and Exclusive Breastfeeding for 6 months”

Dr Nkongho continued.




This reporter also visited a family planning facility in Bamendakwe and spoke to nurse Sarah who said majority of women who come for Family planning at that health centre prefer Depot provera, which is an injectable shot given every 3 months. Just like other family planning methods, the side effect is irregular menstrual flow and weight gain.


The choice to go in for a particular Family planning method depends highly on the individual concerned as there are varieties to chose from. The effects of each must be considered regardless.



Published by Upfront

With Support from SisterSpeak237

07/06/2023




Comments

  1. It's a good story. Many people don't want to talk about natural family planning because it doesn't fetch money. I appreciate the Catholic Church which has clear principles about birth control. They advocate for the Sympto thermal natural family planning method which is 98 Percent successful. Infact the natural planning method fits well with the natural law of life and the divine law of Life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank u for the positive feedback Mildred. Well noted!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

North West Governor Visits Ravaged Bamenda Main Market, Convenes Crisis Meeting!

At 2023 AGM, NTACCUL Pays Lofty Interest Rates, Improve Digital Services!